Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the powers they are graced with."




My Pre-Reading
Paul's Pre-Reading

I was really, really excited for this book. I thought that a modern retelling of the Persephone myth would be really cool. I was not entirely disappointed. The concept was very good, and I thought that the structure was a very interesting one. Jumping around in time usually keeps things pretty interesting, and Ashton executes it very well. 



Nikki did kind of annoy me at times, because I don't think she handled some situations very well. I don't think running off with Cole just because her boyfriend was at a football camp and she ends up assuming things (wrongly) and doesn't give him a chance to explain himself was a very good idea at all. It was rash, and totally uncalled for. I mean, I know her mom was killed by a drunk driver and all and she had to deal with the repercussions of that, but still. I don't believe that some of her actions and decisions were justified or entirely realistic. 

I did think that the "Daughters of Persephone" concept was very interesting though. These women are born only to be fed on by the Everlivings in the hopes that maybe one of them will survive and be able to become queen. But hey, guess what, none of them do. Except Nikki, who wasn't even one of the daughters. Just some random girl Cole decided to experiment with.

Although some aspects were a little disappointing, I really enjoyed this book as a whole. And I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel. Which, again, doesn't come out until at least next year. So, a 4/5 for this one. It was definitely a very good debut novel. 

--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment