Saturday, September 13, 2014

Vampire Lies (Blood & Snow Season 2, Vol 1) by RaShelle Workman - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Vampire Lies (Blood & Snow Season 2, Volume 1)
Author: RaShelle Workman
Publication Date: April 14, 2014

My Blood & Snow Volume 1 Review
My A Beauty So Beastly Review

Synopsis: Eyes like violet sapphires. Wings of smoldering fire. Consume your true love's blood. Become the Eternal Vampire.


Once upon a time there lived a vampire with wings and the genie who loved her...

Born of the seven magics, Jasmine is different in every way, including the obnoxious wings on her back courtesy of the original Vampires. She wants to be normal, to be a regular teenaged girl.

When a gorgeous dark-haired boy named Laeddin shows up and promises to sneak her away from all her problems and hide her in the human world, she agrees. 

But an evil lurks in her nightmares, a man with red eyes. It doesn’t take long for Jasmine to realize that no matter how far she tries to run from who she is, he’s only a dream away. He wants her. He needs her. He acts as though he loves her. 

It’s becoming harder and harder to tell the difference between the path that’ll lead to her happily ever after, and the path that’ll lead to her destruction as well as all magic.

-------------------------------------------------------------


Review: I honestly don't think I've ever seen or heard of or read any retelling of Aladdin in which Jasmine is a vampire and the daughter of Snow White, and Aladdin (Laeddin) is a genie. So when I read the synopsis for this book, I knew I had to read it! And I can't believe I waited so long - this book was absolutely fantastic. 

Although I definitely should have read all of season 1 first before I started reading season 2... I think it would have been really interesting to see all of the similarities and all of the background and characters from the previous season all woven into Jasmine's story and making appearances. I mean, don't get me wrong, you could totally read this as a standalone series. There's enough background information to know what's going on and who is who and the major details of what happened in the past. It's just always nice to be in on the secrets! Also, there are some minor spoilers for season 1, so if you plan on reading it and hate spoilers, definitely don't read this book first.

I had this really frustrating love-hate relationship with Jasmine for most of this book. I can totally understand how Jasmine would want to be a normal teenager, and I loved the parallel to the original/the Disney film, but there were times when she just complains SO much and I wanted to slap her. I think it really kept her from being too stagnant though, because at least she had a little bit of personality and began to see the error of her ways. 

The plot moves along pretty quickly in this book, and I was surprised when I flipped the page on my Kindle and... it was over! I was definitely more wrapped up in this story that I thought, and RaShelle's fantastic writing left me wanting more. I enjoyed meeting all of the kids at Jasmine's high school, and seeing familiar faces from A Beauty So Beastly. I also thought it was interesting how Jasmine's wish had such dire consequences. Nothing is ever as easy as making a wish, and I'm interested to see how that will play out with her remaining wishes.

I also really enjoy how RaShelle incorporates all of the fairy tales in to one series. You've got Beauty & the Beast hanging out over in A Beauty So Beastly, Snow White, Jasmine & Aladdin, and even Maleficent! I love how everyone exists in the same world with their own stories. I'm really looking forward to reading more of the books in this world, and especially reading the next book, Vampire Secrets. If you're looking for a series that takes every fairy tale you know and spins it on its head, you should definitely read these books! 4/5.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment