Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Twisted (Pretty Little Liars #9) by Sara Shepard - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Twisted (Pretty Little Liars #9)
Author: Sara Shepard
Publication Date: July 5, 2011

Synopsis: It’s been a year since the torturous notes from A stopped and the mystery of Alison DiLaurentis’s disappearance was finally put to rest. Now seniors in high school, Aria, Spencer, Hanna, and Emily are older, but they’re not any wiser. The pretty little liars have more secrets than ever - twisted secrets that could destroy the perfect lives they’ve worked so hard to rebuild.

Aria’s jealous of her boyfriend’s new exchange student. Spencer’s getting a little too cozy with her soon-to-be-stepbrother. Hanna’s one scandalous photo away from ruining her dad’s Senate campaign. And Emily will do anything to get a swim scholarship.

Worst of all: Last spring break in Jamaica, they did something unforgivable. The girls are desperate to forget that fateful night, but they should know better than anyone that all secrets wash ashore... eventually.
  


-----------------------------------------------


Review: I started reading the Pretty Little Liars books a few months before the TV show aired on ABC Family, because I wanted to know if the show was still worth watching. Then, I kind of gave up on the books for a while because I finished the first eight and thought the series was done.... only to find out that there were like eight more. Plus some other books that were prequels and short stories. So of course I knew I had to read them.

It took me a little bit to get back into this book. Everything was pretty much wrapped up at the end of Wanted, so I didn't make any effort to really try to remember what happened. I forgot who was in what relationship and who had done what terrible things, so I felt like the beginning of this book chugged along really slowly. There's some flashbacks to things that happened before, but I feel like this book would have been better had I read it closer to when I read Wanted.

A lot of this book was ridiculous drama that was helped along by the anonymous "I know what you did" messages from A, but I felt like the girls were just creating their own problems without any help from A. Sure, the stuff from Jamaica was big, but Aria being jealous of Noel's exchange student is something that any normal high school girl would go through. Hanna didn't need A's coaxing to get herself into trouble with her dad's campaign. Spencer and Emily would also have gotten themselves into the same situations with or without A.

I didn't feel any of the danger from previous books or feel like the girls were getting some unjust punishment. Because really, there's not that much here for them to be punished for except bad decision making. A good slap in the face would have solved a lot of their problems, honestly.

Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed this book because I'm already invested in these characters. I've read eight books and watched 5 season of the TV show, and now I have to know who this new A is and if Ali is back or if she's gone for good and what's going to happen with the Liars next. It is a terrible cycle to be stuck in, but it could definitely be worse.
If you're looking for a contemporary series filled with drama, revenge, secrets, and lies, you should definitely pick up the Pretty Little Liars series. Although Twisted felt like an unnecessary continuation of the series, I'm still looking forward to picking up the next book and reading more of this series. A 3/5!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment