Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic - Mace Windu
Writer: Matt Owens
Artists: Denys Cowan, Roberto Poggi, & GURU-eFX
Recent Release Date: February 27, 2018

Synopsis: One of the most revered Jedi Masters of all stars in his own solo series! Learn all there is to know about the man, the myth, the legend -Mace Windu! For over a thousand generations, the Jedi have been the peacekeepers of the galaxy...but now, at the dawn of the Clone Wars, they fi nd themselves in a new role: generals in the Army of the Republic. As Mace Windu, one of the order's greatest warriors, leads a small unit into battle, can the Jedi make peace with their new role - or will they be lost to the violence around them? 



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: When I first saw that Marvel was making a limited series focusing on mace Windu I was super excited. I really got into Star Wars comics during the prequel and Clone Wars era. So many great stories and characters were introduced in those books, which are now non-canon. I was hoping this book would take place prior to Episode 2, where there currently isn't a lot of canon material, but this comic takes place during the Clone Wars. Which is still pretty cool to see in this new Marvel era. 


This comic follows Mace Windu and a few other jedi on a mission against the Separatists' droid army. Kit Fisto is one of the jedi on the mission. I always liked him as a character, ever since I saw his smiling face in the Battle of Geonosis. There's some nice touches to the other jedi as well. There is a lightsaber with a cute name. 

The parts of this comic that I liked the most were flashbacks to Mace Windu as an apprentice. I want that book! It was only a few pages, but it was the most compelling part of the story. This book overall deals with the moral complexities of the jedi acting as army generals. Is there a place for grayness in the jedi order? Mace Windu is a perfect character to address these questions and I liked seeing him as a young jedi jumping to action first. 

I want an explanation for the purple blade! The artists used the colors of the blades so beautifully in this comic. Towards the end of the book though, there is some bad art in the background. In the jedi council scenes, the council members are drawn so poorly. It doesn't match the rest of the book or the standards I've come to expect with Marvel's comics. 

I want to see more comics focusing on different jedi like this. I hope the Jedi of the Republic title becomes a series. I give this book a 4/5


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment