Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2) by Rae Carson - Paul's Review


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

The Girl of Fire and Thorns REVIEW
The Shadow Cats novella REVIEW
The Crown of Embers PRE-READING


Title: The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns #2)
Author: Rae Carson
Year Published: 2012

Review: This is one of the best fantasy YA series out there right now. Rae Carson is an excellent writer. Elisa is a heroine that truly grows as a character. All her actions and the lessons she learsn are done so fluently. Carson writes relationships so well. They are very realistic, having a gradual build. It always irks me when a heroine falls for the only guy in the book or there is insta-love. 


There is a large cast of characters in this novel and none are sidelined. each character has just enough backstory and characteristics to make them all unique and memorable. Many of the characters I loved from the first book return and some of my favorite characters in the series so far were introduced in this book. Hector was one of my favorite characters. He is an awesome guard. 

I like when same-sex relationships are casually placed in YA novels. Carson did an excellent job with that. My gaydar went off and I was excited when it was revealed. Another good series that does this is Graceling by Kristin Cashore. 

The first half of this story took place in the city, then Elisa goes on an adventure! There's even a boat. I always like fantasy stories on the high seas. 

The godstones and religion in this series are very interesting. It is a monotheistic religion with magic. There aren't many other stories out there like it. The history and details of the godstones and magic are revealed in a nice and slow way that kept me on the edge of my seat while reading. 

Rae Carson is one of my favorite authors of YA right now! She is up there with Jodi Meadows, Marissa Meyer, Leigh Bardugo,and Beth Revis! I am really excited for the third book and can't wait for Carson's next series. I hear it has to do with magic in the Gold Rush!

I give this novel a 5/5!

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment