Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Killing Ruby Rose (The Ruby Rose Series #1) by Jessie Humphries - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
Author: Jessie Humphries
Publication Date: May 1, 2014

Also be sure to check out this post from the Killing Ruby Rose vlog tour extravaganza!

Synopsis: In sunny Southern California, seventeen-year-old Ruby Rose is known for her killer looks and her killer SAT scores. But ever since her dad, an LAPD SWAT sergeant, died, she's also got a few killer secrets.

To cope, Ruby has been trying to stay focused on school (the top spot in her class is on the line) and spending time with friends (her Jimmy Choos and Manolo Blahniks are nothing if not loyal). But after six months of therapy and pathetic parenting by her mom, the District Attorney, Ruby decides to pick up where her dad left off and starts going after the bad guys herself.

When Ruby ends up killing a murderer to save his intended victim, she discovers that she's gone from being the huntress to the hunted. There's a sick mastermind at play, and he has Ruby in his sights. Ruby must discover who's using her to implement twisted justice before she ends up swapping Valentino red for prison orange.

With a gun named Smith, a talent for martial arts, and a boyfriend with eyes to die for, Ruby is ready to face the worst. And if a girl's forced to kill, won't the guilt sit more easily in a pair of Prada peep-toe pumps?


Why?: This book sounds like it will be absolutely hilarious. A girl with killer style AND brains? Who wants to hunt the bad guys and right some wrongs in the world? Yes please! I don't usually go for the contemporary books (I love a great fantasy or sci-fi book and tend to stick to those), but this sounds like just the kind of contemporary YA book that I would enjoy.

Expectations:I've heard some pretty excellent things about this book, so I think my expectations are higher than they would normally be. I'm expecting a lot of laughs, but also some pretty intense scenes too - since Ruby is being hunted and all. And also a lot of fashion references which I am sure I will not get.

Judging a book by its cover: I actually really like this cover. I love the colors and I like how sassy Ruby (I'm assuming it's Ruby) looks, without having her face shown. The cover is what grabbed my attention in the first place, so I'd be really likely to pick it up off of a shelf based on the cover alone.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment