Friday, May 10, 2019

Blackbird, Vol. 1 (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics vis Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*


Blackbird, Vol. 1Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Blackbird, Vol. 1
Author: Sam Humphries  
Artist: Jen Bartel 
Upcoming Release Date: May 14, 2019


Synopsis: Nina Rodriguez knows a hidden magical world run by ruthless cabals is hiding in Los Angeles. When a giant magic beast kidnaps her sister, Nina must confront her past (and her demons) to get her sister back and reclaim her life. Don't miss the first collection of the smash-hit neo-noir fantasy series from fan-favorite writer SAM HUMPHRIES (Harley Quinn, Nightwing) and red-hot artist JEN BARTEL (Mighty Thor)!

Collects BLACKBIRD #1-6 



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This first volume of the comic series Blackbird is full of great visuals. Magic is real in this world, but it isn't known by the general populace. Nina knows it's real, but people don't believe her. She discovers her connection to this world over the course of this book. Attractive magic users known as paragons start appearing in her life. 


I absolutely loved the aesthetic of this book. The magic is portrayed in stunning colors and details. There's a giant blue monster early on that really hooked me in on the visuals. But, the story didn't grab my attention. I wasn't pulled in by the characters or the plot. I give this book a 3/5. Beautiful artwork, but I probably won't read the second volume based on the story.


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment