Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Natty (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from Europe Comics via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Amazon | Goodreads

Title: 
Natty
Author: Éric Corbeyran, 
Illustrator: Melvil 
Release Date: June 2017


Synopsis: Princess Natty of Orchidhali is a member of the floral caste and lives in a luxurious, sunshine-filled palace covered. Had she not neglected her studies of sacred texts and tradition, she'd have learned that refusing all of candidates presented to her for marriage would result in her death! She is forced to flee her palace and ends up in the dark realm of the Untouchables, the very lowest caste of society, where a strange form of leprosy reigns. One of the Untouchables, Sami, doesn't seem to suffer as badly as the others. As Natty develops a friendship with Sami, she discovers that he owes his relative beauty to his activity as a mushroom trafficker. In exchange for the valuable fungi, Sami obtains time exposed to the sun: in fact, it is the complete absence of sun from the Untouchables' realm that leads to their deformed bodies and skin. Together, Sami and Natty make a plan to leave the shadows of the underworld and return to the light. But just as they are about to make their escape, a battalion of soldiers arrives... 



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: A fantasy princess coming-of-age story set in a fantasy world? That checks all my boxes. Unfortunately, this graphic novel was not what I wanted. The fantasy setting is mostly appropriative. The tropes and cliches often present in this genre aren't diverged from enough, in my opinion. This book feels like it was written in the 80s or 90s. It is not very modern. 


My biggest problem with this book is the Untouchables. A caste system exists in this world, very reminiscent of that in India. My husband grew up in India so I have heard many stories involving caste dynamics. It's still an issue today for many people.There are even people today who still follow this idea, not touching those beneath them. In this book, the Untouchables are physically grotesque. There's some backstory that leads to why they are that way, but having the caste system being a physical representation rubbed me the wrong way.

There is so much emphasis on physical beauty in this book. It seems to want to breakdown fairy tale tropes, but it does not succeed. The first volume ends in the middle of a scene. I would read the second volume, but it just isn't modern enough for me. I wanted to see more respect for the cultures that inspired the fantasy world this French author created. I give this book a 2/5.  


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment