Thursday, February 4, 2021

House of El Book One: The Shadow Threat (graphic novel) by Claudia Gray - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from DC Comics via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*



Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
House of El Book One: The Shadow Threat
Author: Claudia Gray
Artists: Eric Zawadski
Recent Release Date: January 5, 2021


Synopsis: Zahn is one of Krypton's elites: wealthy, privileged, a future leader. Sera is one of Krypton's soldiers: strong, dedicated, fearless. Their rule - bound society has ordained that their paths should never cross.

But groundquakes are shaking the planet's surface. Rebellious uprisings are shaking the populace. Krypton's top scientists — Jor-El and Lara — conduct a secret experiment that is meant to reform their planet from the cellular level up. Zahn and Sera must join forces to investigate the hidden dangers truly threatening Krypton. In the process, they form a bond that will endure past the end of the world.



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: I've really enjoyed Claudia Gray's take on the Star Wars universe. I'm not as familiar with Krypton, but I definitely felt like this story had similar vibes to my favorite Star Wars novel of hers, Lost Stars. There are two protagonists, each representing a different aspect of the people of Krypton. 
Sera is a soldier risking her life on every mission and Zahn is a privileged guy starting to realize the government isn't quite truthful and doesn't have the people's bets interests in consideration.

I really liked how Krypton is portrayed as a false utopia. There's some interesting commentary on class, sacrifice, and the value of lives. There's also some creepy genetic pre-determination.

I'm sure there are a lot of Superman references that I didn't pick up on. General Zod is featured as well as some future parents. 

This is the first book in a trilogy and it definitely feels like that at the end. This isn't a completed story.

I give this book a 4/5. It's an interesting story, but I wasn't completely drawn in. I'm sure people more familiar with the Superman lore will enjoy the details. 


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment