Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Calling by Kelly Armstrong - Ashley's Pre-reading


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: The Calling
Author: Kelley Armstrong
Year Published: 2012


Synopsis: 
Maya Delaney’s paw-print birthmark is the sign of what she truly is—a skin-walker. She can run faster, climb higher, and see better than nearly anyone else. Experiencing intense connections with the animals that roam the woods outside her home, Maya knows it’s only a matter of time before she’s able to Shift and become one of them. And she believes there may be others in her small town with surprising talents.

Now, Maya and her friends have been forced to flee from their homes during a forest fire they suspect was deliberately set. Then they’re kidnapped, and after a chilling helicopter crash, they find themselves in the Vancouver Island wilderness with nothing but their extraordinary abilities to help them get back home.

Why?:
I won this book from a HarperTeen tweetstakes a while back. So, I bought the first book (The Gathering) and read it a few months ago. I finally got around to this book, so I'm excited to find out where Maya and her friends are at now.

Expectations: I'm expecting this novel to pick up right where The Gathering left off - with the kids in a helicopter escaping the forest fire raging in Salmon Creek. I'm also expecting Maya to start coming to terms with her powers and actually using them, as well as finally shape shifting. I'm sure there will be some added mystery and some added conflict as well, although I'm not sure what exactly.

Judging a book by its cover: The cover is very similar to the cover  for The Gathering - it's just a girl's face. I probably wouldn't pick this up off of a shelf if I saw it in a book store or in the library, only because it isn't really unique and it doesn't stand out like so many covers do now. I do like it though, and I think it fits the books. 

No comments:

Post a Comment