Thursday, July 21, 2011

The People of Sparks

And now, book #5! This one is the next Book of Ember.



Title: The People of Sparks
Author: Jeanne DuPrau
Year Published: 2004
Synopsis: The People of Sparks picks up where The City of Ember leaves off. Lina and Doon have emerged from the underground city to the exciting new world above, and it isn’t long before they are followed by the other inhabitants of Ember. The Emberites soon come across a town where they are welcomed, fed, and given places to sleep. But the town’s resources are limited and it isn’t long before resentment begins to grow between the two groups. When anonymous acts of vandalism push them toward violence, it’s up to Lina and Doon to discover who’s behind the vandalism and why, before it’s too late. 

Why?: I recently finished reading The City of Ember, which is the prequel to this novel. I enjoyed the story, and since it left off with a cliffhanger, I kind of had to read this one next. The City of Ember was a very easy read, so I figure this one won't take very long to read before I start the beast of a book that is Wizard's First Rule.

Expectations: Like I said before, I don't expect this book to be a difficult read at all. I expect it to be very similar to The City of Ember in that it has a nice plot, but is written for a younger age group. I feel like The People of Sparks will have basically the same storyline, but will just take place above ground and with some additional characters. Since it's a post-apocalyptic world, I'm sure that food and shelter and everything will be an issue. Hopefully this book doesn't get terribly boring and cliche.

Judging a book by its cover: The cover of this one is a night sky with a plant in the shape of an S. I assume that to mean that plants are important, and that the night will play a pretty big role. Or maybe the people of Ember are just confused by night and all of the new plants. The S is most likely because of the town being called Sparks, so I don't think that has much more significance than that.


I'm just going to keep reading all of these random books until I get Sisters Red from Paul. :)


And, of course, I'll try to write a blog about halfway through... but obviously I'm not promising anything. Since I've failed every other time I've tried to do that.



--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment