Friday, February 10, 2012

"In dreams, and in love, there are no impossibilities."



I've been trying to write this post for like three days, and I keep getting distracted or forgetting what I want to say.

I think it's really cool that Hilary Duff decided that she wanted to add "author" to her resume alongside actress and singer. Assuming she's written at least a few of her songs, it's safe to say she knows how to tell a good story. Which is pretty much what this book was - a good story. The writing wasn't exceptional, but it wasn't awful like some books by other celebrities tend to be either. I thought that the main characters (Clea, Ben, and Sage), were introduced well and then had pretty good development over the course of the book. There could have been a bit more, but it was enough.

Not much really happens in this book though, and it makes me feel like the whole thing was a set up for the rest of the series (I think it's part of a trilogy... like everything else). I appreciate the need to set up a story if you intend to take three books to tell it, but by the end of the book I felt like Clea had more problems than she started with. The only problem that ended up resolved was that she figured out who the shadowy man in all of her pictures was and how he played a part in her life/lives. Oh, but then he disappears again. Sorry, Clea. I guess she also kind of finds out what happened to her dad, but at the same time she still has no idea where to find him or even if he's still alive.

I'm really intrigued as to how Devoted is, and I kind of really want to read it. I think that Hilary will have learned from her first novel and improved on the second one, and I'm interested in how the story pans out. I'd probably give this book a 3/5, and I'd recommend it to fans of Hilary Duff who are looking for a quick, easy read.
 
--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment