Thursday, April 1, 2021

My Shadow is Pink (picture book) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from Larrikin House via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*



Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: My Shadow is Pink

Author & Illustrator: Scott Stuart
Release Date: April 1, 2020


Synopsis: My Shadow is Pink is a beautifully written rhyming story that touches on the subjects of gender identity, self acceptance, equality and diversity.

Inspired by the author’s own little boy, ‘Shadow’s’ main character likes princesses, fairies and things ‘not for boys’...he soon learns (through the support of his dad) that everyone has a shadow that they sometimes feel they need to hide. This is an important book for a new generation of children (and adults alike) which exemplifies the concepts of unconditional love, respect and positive parenting.



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This picture book has great art with a wonderful rhyming story all done with great intention and with a heartfelt message. Every person has shadows that match their inner desires and things that society often shames people for doing/liking based on preconceived ideas and norms. The protagonist has a pink shadow that likes to dance. By the end of the book, we get to see the protagonist's father join his child in wearing a tutu.

I love the idea behind this book, but I had a few hesitations with how the story was portrayed. It still is very binary. I was confused by the color of the shadows. At one point men are shown to have blue shadows and women pink, but at another point the protagonist is the only child with a pink shadow in a class that seems to have girls in it as well. I wish the traditionally feminine interests weren't gendered with the pink shadow. Dancing can be enjoyed by all genders. I wanted this book to defy stereotypes even more. 

I also wanted to see more inequality addressed. This book portrays every person having interests they are shamed for, but society does not shame everyone equally. There are people whose interests align with what society says they should enjoy. Those people are not discriminated against for those interests, while those with interests seen as nontraditional are discriminated against.

These grievances are small, though. I understand that books like this are more of a way to open up a dialogue with both children and caregivers. I love that there are more books like this filling up the picture book shelves! I give this book a 4/5


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment