Monday, March 15, 2021

Waluk: The Great Journey (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from Magnetic Press via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*



Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Waluk: The Great Journey
Author: Ana Mirallès
Artists: Emilio Ruiz
Upcoming Release Date: March 16, 2021


Synopsis: Wáluk and Eskimo are two inseparable bears. Wáluk is very young and Eskimo is very old. Between the two they've found a way to survive in an extremely hostile environment, combining the agility of the younger with the experience of the older. When Eskimo decides they should go further north in search of better hunting, they set off on a great journey neither are truly prepared for...

A heartwarming, fun and funny adventure that spotlights the impact of global warming and mankind moving into wildlands, forcing nature to find new ground to thrive.


------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This book seems to have the intention of telling a story about how human impact and climate change have changed the natural world. But, I don't think it tells that story too well. This story also seems to use elements of First Nations and Indigenous culture and names in a way that I'm unsure whether it is done appropriately. This book seems to be created by two Europeans. 

The animals in this  book are portrayed in a fantastical way. And there's also an A.I. drone with a conscious?!? I was very confused by the world in which this book takes place. 

I'm excited about more books for children that focus on the very present problem that is Climate Change. I do not recommend this book for that.

I give this book a 2/5. The art is beautiful and there's some fun interactions between the animals, but this book just did not land for me. 


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment