Thursday, March 4, 2021

The Banks by Roxane Gay (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from TKO Studios via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*



Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: The Banks

Author: Roxane Gay
Artists: Ming Doyle
Release Date: December 1, 2019


Synopsis: The Banks is a heist thriller about the most successful thieves in Chicago: The women of the Banks family. 

For fifty years the women of the Banks family have been the most successful thieves in Chicago by following one simple rule: never get greedy. But when the youngest Banks stumbles upon the heist of a lifetime, the potential windfall may be enough to bring three generations of thieves together for one incredible score and the chance to avenge a loved one taken too soon.



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This is the first book of Roxane Gay's that I've read. I've followed her on Twitter for years and have seen many interviews of hers, but when I saw this book I decided I should really read some of her fiction.

This book is about three generations of thieves. This book jumps between different decades, but primarily stays in the modern times with Celia. Her grandparents were excellent burglars who stole only from those who could afford to be stolen from back in the 1960s. Celia's moms have also been in the family business. Celia diverted from that path, but due to some things happening at work decides to connect with her family in that way for the first time. 

Seeing three generations of Black women doing a heist is epic. The story is a classic heist story full of rick, old white men, but having Black women combatting them was great. 

I give this book a 3.5/5. There were some details that didn't feel right to me about the heist specifics and some tropes that felt a little overplayed, but I really enjoyed the book. I also did find it a little slow. 


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment