Thursday, October 4, 2012

Gossamer by Lois Lowry (Ashley's Pre-Reading)


Title: Gossamer
Author: Lois Lowry
Year Published: 2006


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Synopsis: Where do dreams come from? What stealthy nighttime messengers are the guardians of our most deeply hidden hopes and our half-forgotten fears?

Drawing on her rich imagination, two-time Newbery winner Lois Lowry confronts these questions and explores the conflicts between the gentle bits and pieces of the past that come to life in dream, and the darker horrors that find their form in nightmare. In a haunting story that tiptoes between reality and imagination, two people—a lonely, sensitive woman and a damaged, angry boy—face their own histories and discover what they can be to one another, renewed by the strength that comes from a tiny, caring creature they will never see.

Gossamer is perfect for readers not quite ready for Lois Lowry's Newbery-Award winner The Giver and also for readers interested in dreams, nightmares, spirits and the dream world.

Why?:
I loved The Giver and its companion books, and I've always been interested in Lois Lowry's other books. I also think that the idea of dreams being delivered by tiny creatures is really interesting. It almost seems like a modern fairy tale, especially since the target age range is very young. I also think it will be nice to step out of the YA genre for a bit and read something a little quicker and easier.

Expectations: I expect a nice story about little creatures, invisible to the human eye, that deliver all of the nice dreams to people and animals. I also expect there to be some sort of conflict, but I don't really expect it to be too intense or too scary.

Judging a book by its cover: I think the cover is really pretty, at least for the US Paperback edition. I feel like it should be covered in glitter (and part of it is). If I saw this on a shelf, I would probably at least pick it up. Especially since Lois Lowry's name is on it.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment