Monday, October 8, 2012

Two and Twenty Dark Tales - Pre-reading

*I received this book as an eARC from Month9Books, LLC on Netgally.com*


Title: 
Two and Twenty Dark Tales
Edited By: Georgia McBride & Michelle Zink
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis:  In this anthology, 20 authors explore the dark and hidden meanings behind some of the most beloved Mother Goose nursery rhymes through short story retellings. The dark twists on classic tales range from exploring whether Jack truly fell or if Jill pushed him instead to why Humpty Dumpty, fragile and alone, sat atop so high of a wall.

Why?: I love fairy tale re-tellings, and so I was pretty excited to see a new spin on the Mother Goose rhymes!

Expectations: I expect well known nursery rhymes to be followed loosely, but much with much darker tones than normal. Some might be very close, and others might be very different from what typically imagine, but I'm fairly certain that all be a new twist on classics. I don't know many of the authors, so I don't really know what to expect when it comes to writing style, but I'm definitely looking forward to discovering new authors in new genres.

Judging a book by its cover: The cover has a girl laying on the floor beneath a bunch of paper cranes. Is she dead? What significance do the paper cranes hold? I would probably look at this in a bookstore, especially once I saw the title. 

No comments:

Post a Comment