Friday, July 19, 2013

Blood & Gold (The Ferryman + The Flame #2.5) by Rhiannon Paille - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Blood & Gold

Author: Rhiannon Paille
Year Published: 2013

My Justice Review
My Lantern & Poison Review

Synopsis: This is Justice from the villain's POV.

The Daed are pawns to one of the most powerful members of the Valtanyana. Crestaos is insane, his hunger for the Flames insatiable. The closer the Daed get to achieving his goal, the more expendable they become.
-------------------------

Review: While I love reading short stories from the perspectives of minor characters, I'm not sure that it's fair to say this is Justice from the villain's POV. I mean, it's a very condensed Justice, that's true. But we're not really seeing things through Crestaos' eyes. We actually get to view things from some of the Daed, and through the eyes of one of the Flames. And it's certainly interesting, but not really what I was hoping for. 

We are able to learn a little bit more about some of the Daed, and I think it's fascinating that they don't really support Crestaos as much as it appears in Justice. They're terrified of him, and rightly so. I mean, he's freaking crazy. And this story really portrays how crazy he is - we even learn that he's not human/elven/etc, he's actually a Mithronian (some sort of giant lizard creature). I think that really helps the reader understand him a little bit better, and since his people were banished to the center of the earth it kind of makes sense why he hates everyone.

I thought that this story flowed quite a bit better than Lantern & Poison, so that was nice. The plot is more cohesive, and I enjoyed seeing events from another viewpoint. I think this story actually helps broaden the world and gives a better insight into the conflict, so there's that too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who has started reading The Ferryman + The Flame series, and would rate it as a 3/5. 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment