Friday, October 5, 2018

Fence Vol.1 (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW


Fence Vol. 1Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Fence Vol. 1
Author: C.S. Pacat
Artists: Johanna the Mad & Joana LaFuente
Recent Release Date: July 31, 2018

Synopsis: Nicholas Cox is determined to prove himself in the world of competitive fencing, and earn his place alongside fencing legends like the dad he never knew, but things get more complicated when he’s up against his golden-boy half-brother, as well as sullen fencing prodigy, Seiji Katayama.

Nicholas, the illegitimate son of a retired fencing champion, is a scrappy fencing wunderkind, and dreams of getting the chance and the training to actually compete. After getting accepted to the prodigious Kings Row private school, Nicholas is thrust into a cut-throat world, and finds himself facing not only his golden-boy half-brother, but the unbeatable, mysterious Seiji Katayama...

Through clashes, rivalries, and romance between teammates, Nicholas and the boys of Kings Row will discover there’s much more to fencing than just foils and lunges.



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This graphic novel reminds me of Yuri on Ice in all the right ways. I've heard so much praise for Pacat's The Captive Prince, but I haven't read it. When I saw she wrote a fencing comic with queer characters, I was all in! I'm not a big sports buff so I really enjoyed the explanations into the world of fencing. There's not too much to bog you down, but definitely enough to get you invested and excited for each match. 


I haven't read an extensive amount of manga, but I can see the sports manga/anime tropes being used. They're done in a fresh way. I love how casually queer this comic is. Sexuality is very nonchalant. I've excited for the slow burn rivals to lovers scenario to go down! This is only the first volume, so I can just see a glimpse of potential so far.

I give this graphic novel a 5/5. It's a fun fencing comic with interesting characters. I've already pre-ordered the second volume.  


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment