Thursday, October 10, 2019

Fairlady, Vol. 1 (graphic novel) - Paul's REVIEW

*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comcis via Edelweiss. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Fairlady, Vol.1
Author: Brian Schirmer, 
Artists: Claudia Balboni, Marissa Louise, & Shari Chankhamma
Recent Release Date: September 24, 2019


Synopsis: Every fantasy epic ends with a war. But what happens when the war is over?

Writer Brian Schirmer, artist Claudia Balboni (Star Trek), and colorist Marissa Louise team up for volume one of Fairlady-the first book in an all-new series featuring the procedural case-solving of Magnum P.I., The Dresden Files, and Fables, but set in a vibrant, Rat Queens-like high fantasy world.

After posing as a man to join the army, Jenner Faulds returns home to The Feld for a new start as a "Fairman"-a specially licensed private investigator. But sexism didn't end on the battlefield, and as the only "Fairlady," Jenner gets stuck with the cases nobody else wants. Hitting the streets to solve The Feld's overlooked mysteries, Jenner finds that the smallest cases hide the biggest secrets.

Collects FAIRLADY #1-5.



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: I love the concept of this book. What happens after the epic battle ends in a fantasy war? What do the fighters do? Jenner Faulds goes into private investigating. Her job is a combination of bounty hunting and being a sheriff. This series has a police procedural feel. Each issue seems to solve one investigation. The world is expansive and really feels lived in. I enjoyed the details in the background of many of the panels. 


I want to see more of this world and its history, but to be honest I did not really enjoy the actual story. I give this book a 3.5/5. The world is great, the characters are interesting, and the art is on point. But, I just could not get into the story itself. I like the world more than the story.


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment