Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Star Wars: Age of Republic - Heroes (comic) - Paul's REVIEW


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: 
Star Wars: Age of Republic - Heroes
Writer: Jody Houser & Marc Guggenheim
Artists: Cory Smith, Wilton Santos, Walden Wong, Paolo Villanelli, & Caspar Wijngaard
Recent Release Date: May 28, 2019

Age of Republic - Villains

Synopsis: This is the Age of Star Wars - an epic series of adventures that unite your favorite characters from all three trilogies! Join the greatest heroes of the waning days of the Old Republic. Witness the never-before-seen moments that define them, the incredible battles that shaped them - and their eternal conflict between light and darkness! Considered one of the greatest Jedi Knights - or the one who led them to their doom - maverick Qui-Gon Jinn is known to bend the rules, and it's gotten him into plenty of trouble with the Council. Now, in the face of a mission gone awry, he's forced to confront his confl icting beliefs. Plus, Anakin Skywalker! Obi-Wan Kenobi! Padme Amidala! And Master Yoda!



COLLECTING: STAR WARS: AGE OF REPUBLIC - ANAKIN SKYWALKER 1, STAR WARS: AGE OF REPUBLIC - OBI-WAN KENOBI 1, STAR WARS: AGE OF REPUBLIC - PADME AMIDALA 1, STAR WARS: AGE OF REPUBLIC - QUI-GON JINN 1



------------------------------------------------------------

Review: It seems like we're coming to a new era of Marvel Star Wars comics. The ongoing series is ending soon and these volumes focusing on either heroes or villains from each of the trilogies are giving us new stories from different eras. This volume is all about the heroes from the prequel trilogy. I got into Star Wars comics during this era with the Dark Horse Clone Wars books. There are six different stories in this collection.


Qui-Gon Jiin is the focus of the first story. We need more stories about him. I really need to read the new Claudia Gray book featuring Qui-Gon and Obi-wan. In this story, though, Qui-Gon is questioning the Jedi ways, wondering what their real purpose really is. I really liked the bold colors in this story. 4/5

Obi-wan Kenobi gets the highlight in the second story. He's training Anakin. I give this story a 3/5. I did really enjoy seeing alien species I only knew from a Legends guide to aliens though.

Anakin Skywalker gets the third story. This one takes place during the Clone War and goes into the impossible choices of war. 3/5

Padme's story is my favorite from this volume. I give it a 5/5. This story also takes place during the Clone Wars. These stories always make me think about how much I dislike her story in Episode 3. She's such a badass senator. I really liked seeing the handmaidens discussing Anakin and Padme's relationship.

The next story is about Mace Windu. It goes into the complexities of the Jedi even before the Clone Wars began. There's a Master Huyang reference that I really enjoyed. I would love to see more of him in future stories! 4/5

Captain Rex and Jar Jar Binks are in the last story. I wish this story was longer. I would read a whole volume about these two. I would love to see an ethically complex take on Jar Jar's role in the Clone Wars. 4/5

Overall, it was really fun to read new stories set in the prequel era, but I was disappointed with how many took place during the Clone Wars. It's one of the times with the most story already in existence. I want more stories that take place before Episode 1. That's it for the Age of Republic. Next, the Age of Rebellion!. I give this volume a 4/5


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment