Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Son (The Giver #4) by Lois Lowry - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Son (The Giver #4)
Author: Lois Lowry
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis: 
They called her Water Claire. When she washed up on their shore, no one knew that she came from a society where emotions and colors didn’t exist. That she had become a Vessel at age thirteen. That she had carried a Product at age fourteen. That it had been stolen from her body. Claire had a son. But what became of him she never knew. What was his name? Was he even alive? She was supposed to forget him, but that was impossible. Now Claire will stop at nothing to find her child, even if it means making an unimaginable sacrifice.


Son thrusts readers once again into the chilling world of the Newbery Medal winning book, The Giver, as well as Gathering Blue and Messenger where a new hero emerges. In this thrilling series finale, the startling and long-awaited conclusion to Lois Lowry’s epic tale culminates in a final clash between good and evil.

Why?: I remember reading The Giver when I was in elementary school and loving it. And then I read it again. And again. And a few more times. I think, of all the books I've read, it's probably the one I've read the most. And I love it every time. I also enjoyed the sequels, Gathering Blue and Messenger, but I figured that was the end of the story. So I was really excited when I first heard about Son, and I've been wanting to read it for quite a while now.

Expectations: Although it's been a while since my last reread of The Giver, I have pretty high expectations for this book. I don't expect it to be a direct sequel, but I do expect it to rely heavily on the world constructed in The Giver and be more of a companion novel like the other two "sequels." I love Lowry's writing, and I expect this book to be beautifully written and full of life lessons and moments when I just have to put the book down for minute to take everything in.

Judging a book by its cover: This cover is really... stark? I think that's a good word. The white really stands out, especially near the bottom, and it's really unlike any other book you typically see in the YA/MG sections. I think that maybe snow will pay a large part in the story (or maybe just winter), and I like that it gives very little away. I would probably pick this up based on the cover alone.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment