Saturday, May 31, 2014

Things About Love (As You Wish #1.5) by Jackson Pearce - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Goodreads

Title: Things About Love (As You Wish #1.5)
Author: Jackson Pearce
Year Published: 2012 

My As You Wish Review
Paul's Things About Love Review
Paul's As You Wish Review

Synopsis: A short story set three years after the events of As You Wish!

Lawrence has spent the last three years dealing with the presence of the jinn-- a consequence of his best friend falling in love with one back in high school. Worried he'll reveal their presence to the world, the jinn send a rotating set of guards to watch him. He's just learning to ignore their constant presence when a jinn named Juliet gets herself assigned to his post. Juliet is determined to learn about love, a strange concept to most jinn, and Lawrence is going to help her-- like it or not.


---------------------------------------------------------


Review: As You Wish was a cute, teen romance that worked very well as a standalone. I'm really glad, however, that Jackson Pearce wrote this story about Lawrence. He was probably my favorite character in As You Wish, and I'm really glad we got to see a little bit more of him!

There's not really a whole lot to this story, but it was interesting to see a little bit of what Lawrence has been up to in the three years following As You Wish. He's still best friends with Viola even though they don't go to the same school, which I thought was sweet. Juliet is trying to find out what love is for a jinn, but Lawrence is in the middle of trying to figure out what love is for him. Both of them learn things about love, even if they aren't necessarily good things.

Being a story about finding out what love is, there is a little bit of a romance in this story. I wish that I had more time to care about the characters though, because I didn't feel like I cared about the love interest or what happened to him after the end of this story. I enjoyed watching Lawrence and Juliet's relationship change as they spent more time together even though it wasn't romantic. I think if Juliet had stayed longer, she and Lawrence could have become good friends! 

If you've read As You Wish, I would totally recommend this story. It's short and interesting, and adds a little bit more to Lawrence's character and explains a little bit more about the jinn. If you want a magical, fun romance story, definitely check out As You Wish. I'd give this short story a 4/5.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment