Friday, May 23, 2014

The Songbird's Overture (The Malediction Trilogy #0.5) by Danielle L. Jensen - Ashley's Review

Goodreads
My Stolen Songbird Review
Interview with Danielle L. Jensen

I really loved Stolen Songbird by Danielle L. Jensen, and I was super excited when the title reveal for its sequel came with a short story (which you can find below!)! I love finding out more about characters through short stories and novellas, especially when they provide background information that isn't necessary to the story but helps develop the characters anyway.

The Songbird's Overture, which is set four years before the events of Stolen Songbird, was a really interesting look into Cécile's life before her mother started sending tutors to educate her in things like reading, etiquette, and improving her voice. Cécile is young - it's her 13th birthday when this story takes place - and all she wants is to see her mother. Although her mother has been absent most of her life, she still worships her and wants to sing in a big opera house just like her one day.


I also really enjoyed seeing a glimpse of Cécile's mother. She comes off as kind of cold and cares only about developing Cécile into a singing sensation (saying that her talent would be wasted on a farm or as a farmer's wife). I wasn't really a huge fan and I think she's a horrible parent, but I'm really excited to learn more about her and see how she actually lives in Hidden Huntress. I think there's a lot more to her than we've seen, which is really exciting. 

If you've read Stolen Songbird, I would definitely recommend this story! It's very short (only 23 pages or so), and available to read for free. You have nothing to lose! I would give this one a 5/5, and I really cannot wait for Hidden Huntress


--Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment