Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Guard (The Selection #2.5) by Kiera Cass - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title:  The Guard (The Selection #2.5)
Author: Kiera Cass
Year Published: 2014

My The Elite (#2) Review
My The Elite (#2) Pre-Reading
My The Selection (#1) Review
My The Selection (#1) Pre-Reading
My The Prince (#0.5) Review

Paul's The Elite (#2) Review
Paul's The Elite (#2) Pre-Reading
Paul's The Selection (#1) Review
Paul's The Prince (#0.5) Review

Synopsis: Before America Singer met Prince Maxon . . . 
Before she entered the Selection . . . 
She was in love with a boy named Aspen Leger.

Don't miss this digital original novella set in the captivating world of Kiera Cass's #1 New York Times bestselling Selection trilogy. This brand new 64-page story begins just after the group of Selected girls is narrowed down to the Elite and is told from Aspen's point of view. The Guard also features a teaser to The One, the thrilling conclusion to The Selection trilogy

------------------------------------

Review: So, if I'm being totally honest... Aspen Leger is not who I think America should end up with. He broke her heart, and then he decides that was a mistake and now he's at the palace and hes probably going to get America into trouble by sneaking around with her. Sure, he says it's because he loves her... but he's been kind of a real jerk and I wouldn't be as quick to forgive as America.

Now that that's out of the way, I actually did enjoy this story. I liked being able to get into Aspen's head and to see what he thinks of this whole Selection thing. Also, to see his thoughts about America and how he really does love her. He's really an interesting character and probably has a lot more going on for him than I want to give him credit for. He also cares about his friends and family, and often goes out of the way to make sure everyone is taken care of. 

Maybe because I'm disinclined to be Team Aspen, but one thing that still really bothers me about his character is how he's so concerned with how the Selection might change America. I mean, I can totally understand that he doesn't want her to become some snotty brat like Celeste, but I wish he would understand that maybe change isn't a bad thing. She's never going to be the same girl from the treehouse. And also, she might fall in love with someone else. I know that he keeps telling her that he'll only ever love her... which I guess is sweet if you're Team Aspen, but it just annoys me now.

I digress. Seeing some of the events from The Elite from the perspective of one of the guards adds a whole new depth to the story that wasn't there before. If you've read the rest of the series, and The Prince, I definitely recommend giving this story a read! Even if, like me, you're 100% Team Maxon (even though he has his flaws too). I don't think Aspen gets enough screen time in the main series (although I'm glad he doesn't take away from Maxon Time), and I'm glad we got to see more of him and how caring he really is. 4/5!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment