Friday, September 30, 2011

Paul's September Pick: The Unwanteds

Like I said, two quick posts! I still need to review Divergent, but after I do that I'll finally be all caught up. I haven't even read this book yet!


Paul's Pre-Reading
Paul's Review


Title: The Unwanteds
Author: Lisa McMann
Year Published: 2011


Synopsis: Every year in Quill, thirteen-year-olds are sorted into categories: the strong, intelligent Wanteds go to university, and the artistic Unwanteds are sent to their deaths
Thirteen-year-old Alex tries his hardest to be stoic when his fate is announced as Unwanted, even while leaving behind his twin, Aaron, a Wanted. Upon arrival at the destination where he expected to be eliminated, however, Alex discovers a stunning secret--behind the mirage of the "death farm" there is instead a place called Artime.

In Artime, each child is taught to cultivate their creative abilities and learn how to use them magically, weaving spells through paintbrushes and musical instruments. Everything Alex has ever known changes before his eyes, and it's a wondrous transformation.

But it's a rare, unique occurence for twins to be separated between Wanted and Unwanted, and as Alex and Aaron's bond stretches across their separation, a threat arises for the survival of Artime that will pit brother against brother in an ultimate, magical battle.



Why?: Paul picked it for September, so now I have to read it too.


Expectations: I expect this to be a nice, easy read. From what Paul and other websites have said, this is a middle-grade book. I don't expect it to be as good as the Dream Catcher trilogy just by virtue of it being middle-grade, but I do expect to be entertained. I'm not expecting Harry Potter or The Hunger Games only because I know that if I do I'll be sorely disappointed.


Judging a book by its cover: There's a big flying kitty on the front! I like kitties :). I expect magic to be important, and probably the flying lion to be important as well. 


I will not have this book finished by the end of September... At least it gives me a little more time to pick a book for October though.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment