Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Silver Sickle by Ellie Ann - Ashley's Pre-Reading

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: The Silver Sickle
Author: Ellie Ann
Year Published: 2013

Synopsis: 
The end of humanity will come through the Silver Sickle . . .


Farissa lives every moment with reckless abandon, for it may be her last. Any day now, the alien goddesses will harvest her and take her to the mysterious Silver Sickle, never to return. She’s accepted that. What she can’t accept is this new idea of freedom Zel has planted in her head. She’d give almost anything to be with Zel, but how can she run from her destiny if it means putting the whole kingdom in danger?

Everyone in the desert kingdom believes the goddesses are immortal, but Zel has invented a way to kill them. Now all he has to do is convince Farissa to run away with him and plant a seed of hope in her heart that she’s not destined to die. Little does he know that one seed of hope could change the course of the future.

Why?: I saw on Goodreads that this book is being marketed as one for fans of Veronica Roth, Scott Westerfield, and Allie Condie. Since I love all of those authors, I figured I should definitely give this book a chance! It also apparently has steampunk and cyberpunk elements, which excites me. And Alien goddesses makes me think there will be a little bit of mythology, even if it's new to this book. It all just sounds really exciting! 

Expectations: Since The Silver Sickle is being pushed towards fans of three very well known authors, I kind of expect it to be on par with their books. I also expect a lot of world building between the aliens, the desert kingdom, and the mythology. 

Judging a book by its cover: I'm not really sure how I feel about this cover. It definitely has some steampunk elements, and the silver sickle on the front is pretty obvious, but I'm curious what the robots will have to do with anything. I do like the red and how it looks like part of the cover is torn away though. I would probably pick this book up off of a shelf based on the cover alone. 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment