Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Across the Universe

I'm currently made of huge fail when it comes to finishing books. In addition to People of Sparks and Wizard's First Rule, I'm in the middle of like five other books. But I'm going to start another one! I think I have literary ADD or something.


This book is going to be Paul's August pick, so that I can catch up with our "mandatory" reading for this thing. Here's his first post, in case you missed it: Paul's Across the Universe original post



Title: Across the Universe
Author: Beth Revis
Year Published: 2011
Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents in a cryogenic state as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone—one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship—tried to kill her. It doesn't stop with her, someone is pulling the cryo units out early, intentionally attempting to suffocate them. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next. Now, Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.


Amy comes into the knowledge that this ship was not run on fuel, but on lies. Is there anyone she can trust? What will happen to her, so far away from Earth-as-she-knew-it?

Why?: Paul picked it and now I'm reading it because that's what the rules are.

Expectations: Well, since Paul liked it and we tend the like the same books usually, I assume that it's a pretty good book that will keep me entertained and such. I guess fairly high expectations for this one.

Judging a book by its cover: Based on the cover alone, I'm not sure I would have picked this book out. Especially with the title. It's all Beatles-y, and makes me think of the film of the same name. The colors are pretty though, and spacey, and the two people who are very close and look like they are about to kiss makes me think it's about a romance. And space. 


I'm hoping to actually finish this one and not just leave it on my "Currently Reading" shelf forever. Apparently August is not my month for reading books...

--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment