Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wizard's First Rule

I was going to finish People of Sparks next, but I just can't get into it. Still. Or again? So, I'm giving up again and starting this beast. 



Title: Wizard's First Rule
Author: Terry Goodkind
Year Published: 1994
Synopsis: In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence. In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out. This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend. 

Why?: I watched both seasons of Legend of the Seeker, which is based on the series Sword of Truth, of which this is the first novel. I enjoyed the show, I enjoy fantasy novels, and I enjoyed Debt of Bones, so I figure I'll enjoy this novel as well. 

Expectations: I'm not going to lie, I've got pretty high expectations for this one. I know Goodkind writes very well, and I enjoyed the TV series. I do expect some parts to drag though, since it's like 1000 pages long. 

Judging a book by its cover: Wizard's First Rule has a picture of two people (probably Richard and Kahlan) standing on a natural bridge with forest on either side and a waterfall in the background. The colors are pretty vivid, and it's a pretty picture. I hope that means it's a pretty novel!

This one will probably take me a while to read, and I may or may not post a ton of blog entries about it, since it is so long. I also might have to put it on hold whenever I get Across the Universe from Paul if I haven't finished it by then.

--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment