Monday, August 8, 2011

A Game of Thrones



Title: A Game of Thrones
Author: George R. R. Martin
Year Published: 1996
Synopsis: In a world where the approaching winter will last four decades, kings and queens, knights and renegades struggle for control of a throne. Some fight with sword and mace, others with magic and poison. Beyond the Wall to the north, meanwhile, the Others are preparing their army of the dead to march south as the warmth of summer drains from the land. After more than a decade devoted primarily to TV and screen work, Martin (The Armageddon Rag, 1983) makes a triumphant return to high fantasy with this extraordinarily rich new novel, the first of a trilogy. Although conventional in form, the book stands out from similar work by Eddings, Brooks and others by virtue of its superbly developed characters, accomplished prose and sheer bloody-mindedness. Although the romance of chivalry is central to the culture of the Seven Kingdoms, and tournaments, derring-do and handsome knights abound, these trappings merely give cover to dangerous men and women who will stop at nothing to achieve their goals. When Lord Stark of Winterfell, an honest man, comes south to act as the King's chief councilor, no amount of heroism or good intentions can keep the realm under control. It is fascinating to watch Martin's characters mature and grow, particularly Stark's children, who stand at the center of the book. Martin's trophy case is already stuffed with major prizes, including Hugos, Nebulas, Locus Awards and a Bram Stoker. He's probably going to have to add another shelf, at least." (Amazon)

Why?:  I don't remember hearing much about this series until the tv show came out. I have heard raving reviews of the tv show and the story sounds interesting. Before I watch the series, I wanted to read the first novel, which may take me a while. It seems like the writing is heavy on characters and character development. From what I've heard, each chapter is from a different character's perspective.

Expectations: I haven't read much, if any, high fantasy. I think this book is a good start. I am expecting it to take a long time to finish, but be written well and tell an amazing story. I expect a well developed world full of evolving characters that are shades of grey. I'm really hoping to get into this book and actually finishing it. I will be very disappointed in myself if this book ends up on my shelf again with a page dog-eared less than halfway through. 

Judging a book by its cover: The cover of the version I have is pictured above. It merely shows a sword. It doesn't really add much or hype anything for me. 

So, I am back to work tomorrow so I will possibly be able to read a bit if I have large breaks.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment